Friday, September 19, 2008

T.G.I. (Turkey Food) F.

I have decided to devote Fridays to my Turkish adventures in food, my favorite part of getting to know a new country. It gives us all something delicious to look forward to!


Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

This week is dedicated to the Turkish ice cream, Dondurma, or Maraş, or whatever they call it. Different places seem to call it different things. I'm actually a little confused as to what the definitive name is. This article explains it further in depth. Basically it's an ice cream made of goat's milk, orchid root flour, and mastic resin and is sold in many flavors. On paper, it's kind of genius. The flour and resin help slow down the melting process which is good in a hot climate. They sell it everywhere but it's a bigger show in the more touristy parts of town, especially on the Istiklal Cadessi. You see these guys with long metal poles sort of churning the ice cream in their freezer to keep it soft. I think you have to pass a special test to wear the vest and the hat.





In practice though, I just don't know. I tried the "karamel" flavor and didn't really like it. The texture is SO CHEWY. It's like eating a weird combination of ice cream, saltwater taffy, and a gumball. It's disconcerting to have to bite into it and chew. Licking just results in these unsatisfying chewy strings of ice cream that don't quite make it into your mouth but just dangle there, taunting you. The actual flavor was also severely lacking in the kind of caramel taste I am used to.


I learn the hard way that my "lips only" strategy is the wrong way to eat this ice cream. Biting into it is a must.


Close up of the frustrating tendrils

But after reading the nutrition facts on it, I may have to try it again. It's actually great for the lactose intolerant cursed such as myself and has all these vitamins. Just marvel at all its hidden power. And the fact that I was able to spare Kevin and myself the usual dairy strife my bowels experience when I eat ice cream, I am downright grateful it exists at all.

Final ratings (based on my patented 5 ∆ system):
Taste: ∆

Texture:∆∆
Overall Experience: ∆∆∆

Future Potential: ∆∆∆∆

2 comments:

MizMishka said...

It looks incredibly amazing.....ly weird.....You describe its texture and consistency so very well it sort of makes my mouth twitch.
Thank you for sharing Turkey with all of us.

Missy Weimer said...

hahahahaha
Your face in that first photo is priceless!
i heart ice cream.
have some for me Kho.