Monday, September 15, 2008

Grilled Meat Santa

Last night we hosted a farewell BBQ for our new friends and neighbors of 2 weeks, Cem and Buket (pronounced jem and boo-KETT). The plan started off as a low key dinner to thank them for all of their help and wonderful hospitality but in typical Turkish style, swelled into a big barbecue on our terrace with Cem leading the way. While I was mildly panicking over how to last minute shop for such a feast, Cem's friend Atila (like the Hun) appeared out of nowhere with a hookah pipe and a bag of chicken, some veggies and skewers. He was like a Grilled Meat Santa Claus. Kevin and I (wisely) chose to stay out of his way while he took over our kitchen preparing the food with his girlfriend. Then he disappeared for 2 hours before reemerging to man the grill while we and several hungry Germans waited.

Menu included:
Grilled Chicken (in a paprika, chili pepper, thyme rub)
Beğendi (100% YUM. Like baba ghanoush but 50x better)
Grilled Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers
Watermelon (the only thing I actually provided)
Plenty of Efes and Raki
Hazelnut Vodka!

The food was some of the best I've ever had. In my life. And I eat a lot. Other noteworthy hilarities included Kevin carrying out the "Body" Ikea light onto a 4' wide balcony, Cem stripping and jerry rigging some wires so we could actually plug the thing in, and the BBQ being a pit of fire that shot flames at us. I wish I could have taken pictures of these things but I was too busy stuffing my face!

the turkish take over our kitchen


the barbecue fairies


the hungry germans


the spread aka total deliciousness

(before)


(after)

the hookah (of course)


The Turks really know how to have a good time and their hospitality knows no bounds. I've met people for 5 seconds before they are offering me tea and 2 hour conversations. I am continually delighted and humbled by this fact. Last night yet again proved this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

oh it was soooooooo delicious ... I still do not believe that meat can taste sooooooo good and the eggplant-paste ...

we have to kidnape the barbeque santa, and he has to grill for us every day ... really

one of the hungry germans and neighbour ...

owo said...

brilliant! we will lure him over with promises of magical hookah and then tie him to the barbecue. kebaps breakfast, lunch, and dinner!