Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Bargain Artist



I bought these sandals yesterday! After seeing hundreds of beautiful leather sandals grace the feet of Istanbul women everyday, my feel were itching to join their army of fashionable, well aerated toes. I really like the subtle detailing of the front with the supportive ankle strap in the back so I can navigate the insane hills of this city without screaming, "I'm Russell Crowe fighting at the Coliseum!"

But while I'm happy I bought them I am agonizing over the fact that I paid too much for them. I did talk the seller 15 lira down from his asking price but my starting price should have been much lower to begin with, at least half off. I know that price is merely a contract of faith and as long as I'm happy with my purchase that is what matters the most. But this is Istanbul, home of the Grand Bazaar, birthplace of the ART of bargaining! If you don't try to talk down the price, the sellers will all point and laugh at what a stupid American you are behind your back. This is the thing I fear the most.


So I gotta get better. I'm the worst kind of bargainer because I think I'm really good and then I'll be at home relishing in my spoils when I realize I've paid way too much. I was a disaster when I tried to buy my first car. I would go test drive a car and if the seller was nice enough, I'd try to buy it at full price even though I knew it was a lemon. It was like some out-of-body experience where I could see myself being an idiot but couldn't stop it. Because my instinct under pressure is to be nice, fair and trust that the seller has the same intent. Stupid instinct.

Some people are true artists when it comes to bargaining. I've seen them in action and they are not nice or fair. They are ruthless, firm, almost unscrupulous. But they are also very charming and likable, which is where their almost mystical virtuosity comes in. They smile as they push the knife in further and by the time they're done, the seller is thanking them for the privilege of bleeding. That's the kind of bargainer I hope to be by the time I leave Istanbul. Until then though, I will wear my sandals as a reminder that next time, even if I don't want to look like Russell Crowe, I gotta think like him, to go for blood. But in a subtler, more sophisticated way. And at least these sandals were cheaper than a car.

1 comment:

Missy Weimer said...

May I suggest tapping into the mean old asian woman that you could be some day if you put your mind to it. It is all with in your grasp.
Though, as a side note, the sandals are wonderful and I dare say that you would have looked like a sucker for longer w/o a pair on your feet. With these leather straps and sole are literally dipping your toe into the culture for the first time.
gospeed!