Tuesday, December 1, 2009

T.G.I.T.F.F: turkish breakfast (kavahltı tabağı)

Today I would like to expound on the joys of breakfast a la Turk. Called "Kahvaltı" (pronounced kav ALL tuh) it literally means "before coffee". There are many things to eat for breakfast here but my favorite dishes usually includes the following:
  • A french baguette like bread I like to refer to as bunny bread for obvious reasons
  • Sliced Tomatoes, Sliced Cucumbers, Olives
  • Sliced Cheese very similar to feta called Beyaz Peynir (Beyaz means white, peynir means cheese)
bunny bread!
    • Eggs (either hardboiled or omelette-ish mixed with herbs)
    • Kaymak (a clotted cream that is very rich and very delicious)
    • Butter, Honey, Jam. And tea of course.
    kaymak!

    When I first started eating it, I enjoyed it but I never GOT it. There were so many elements to it, something a one big plate of French toast American like me isn't used to. Like breakfast tapas. And why would you eat tomatoes and olives and a feta-esque cheese for breakfast? Too many sharp salty flavors for my tastebuds first thing in the morning. But coming back this time, I really started craving it. Maybe I had finally gotten used to the tastes. Or maybe it's because I figured out the right combination of egg, cheese, olive, and veg to put in my mouth. Or maybe it's because we lived down the street from the best bakery that bakes their bread so fresh that when I go to buy a loaf it's still warm from the wood fire oven. Whatever the reason, it's a great way to start the morning.

    turkish breakfast

    back in istanbul
    -turkish breakfast is best enjoyed with loved ones!

    1 comment:

    Kristina said...

    This food looks amazing! Nearly all my favorite things in one breakfast!